Skip to main content

A Gargantuan Flash Fiction



It's Flash Fiction time again.  I'm still not sure if I'm doing it right, but at least I AM doing it!  This week's challenge was 'Gargantuan' and 500 words.  The deadline is today.  I started this an hour ago so it won't be the greatest, but it is at least done and I won't have to send postcards (the consequence of not finishing)!!!


A Gargantuan Inheritance 
-Britney DeVries


By the time I wanted to change my life, I had made it into one massive, gargantuan mess.  Fancy dinners every evening were followed by incredible parties every night which ended in me picking up the tab for everything, every night.  I never imagined that my one million dollar inheritance would have gone by so fast.  If I could do it all again, I would do it oh so differently.

I could hear my cell phone ringing, but I didn’t have a clue as to where it could be.  Ignoring it, I stumbled over to the kitchen to find some much needed water before I made my way to my laptop to see how truly fucked my bank account really was.  $247. Shit.  $247 minus my $1400 condo fee, minus the electrical bill, the phone bill, the Visa bill, and to buy me an amazing gown to win over my dream man at the biggest party of the year this weekend.  One million dollars and 10 months later and I was in worse shape than I was before my grandfather’s inheritance. 

My cell phone rang again.  I made my way through my disastrous, after-party living room and found it on the coffee table.  It was the bank calling.  Great.  I guess if I was going to deal with this, I should just get it over with now. 

“Hello, this is Kat Harper” I tried to sound as professional and confident as I could.

“Yes, Ms. Harper.  This is Lane Brander calling from the Toronto Dominion Bank.  We have a few questions regarding your account.  Are you able to come in for an appointment this morning at 10?

“Yes, sir.  I will be there at 10” Shit.  I already knew how this meeting was going to end: me selling the condo and the BMW and probably getting a job.

I arrived at the bank 10 minutes before I was supposed to meet with Mr. Brander.  I hadn’t even made it to reception when a short, round lady in a green polo approached me.

“Ms. Harper, Mr. Brander will see you upstairs.  You can follow me”

I never imagined that an umpa lumpa in green would be leading me to my demise.  She lead me to a gorgeous, mahogany filled office with the most amazing view of the city I had ever seen.

“Look, I know where this is going” I started to speak without even thinking. “I’ve been careless and irresponsible with my money, I know.  But I promise I can do better if I can just get a loan or some more money from somewhere.  I’ll stop partying and I’ll stop spending so carelessly.  Please, if you can just help me” At some point in my plea, I had started crying.

A blinked away the tears as a tall, dark figure entered the room.

“Actually, Ms. Harper.  I called you in today to discuss the remainder of your inheritance.  The rest of the ten million is now available to you.”


Check out the other Gargantuan Flash Fiction stories here:

Comments

  1. Haha, nice! Loved the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the reference to oompa loompas! I liked that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sup hommie, you got an award: http://thecapillary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that's SO lucky. I hope she did learn her lesson this time. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kick Ass.

  Day 11, Letter K, and almost 5 pounds gone!  I'm kicking ass at my A-Z Commit to be Fit Challenge!!   I'm quite certain that the next 5 pounds are going to be quite a bit tougher than the first 5, but I'm willing to do the work.

No to Negativity.

There's really no other way to describe this week so far than to refer to it as crappy.  It's a crappy week.  We had a ton of snow on the weekend that has decided to stick around ( it's April damn it ....I JUST WANT TO RUN OUTSIDE), I'm in a super bitchy mood, awful things are happening all over the world, my family is coming down with some type of  illness, and I'm losing motivation for both the A-Z Challenge and my Commit to be Fit Challenge.  Everything is just plain crappy. So N is for Negativity.  I feel negative...and crappy.

Good choices.

Happy Monday everyone!  I hope your week is a good one! We're on Letter G for the A-Z Challenge, and my commit to be fit post is about making good choices. Making good choices isn't always easy for me.  Mainly, because I'm usually really drunk and not thinking about what's best for me in the long run. You're probably thinking that I'm talking about making good diet choices and, of course, I am, but they aren't the only choices that need to be made when choosing to live a fit and healthy lifestyle.   Nutrition and diet choices are, actually, probably the easiest of all them all.