Skip to main content

So we did something fun!

So we did something super fun and scary last spring...we decided to move to our lake cabin full time!  Ahhh!  It's been very trying and very exciting and I think we're actually settled in out here.  Also, HI!  I know it's only been a short while since I posted last...errr...ok, it's been a year and a half, but priorities, right?



So, yeah, downsizing...haha!  In 2 years, we've gone from 3800 square feet of living space to about... 750.  And, you know what? It's totally not all sunshine and rainbows, but it works!  Living at the lake and having all of these amazing trees around us is completely worth it.  The boys have settled into, yet, another new school and this school is the best one yet!

Around the end of April last year, I came out to the cabin to clean up our holiday trailer so we could sell it.  I took a break, made a caesar, and sat on the front lawn with Duke in the small bit of sunshine that made its way through the trees.  While I was sitting there, I thought to myself that I could totally live out here and considered leaving my family to do so thought of a way to get my family on board.  A garage! If we could build a garage on the front of our property that could give us enough space to entertain and hang out in, this would work.  One phone call to the county later and we found out we could!  The permit and surveying were kind of all on me as my husband was totally not into the idea of downsizing yet AGAIN.  Once he found out that he could build an even BIGGER garage than the one we had built in town, he was listening full force!  Within a month, we were out here full time!  We started the ground work in June, and were into the framing stage by mid July.  As we were going at this alone, it was a slow process, but we were heated and ready to go by winter!  We took a long break for hockey (both boys are playing now), and started again on the interior finishing in February.  Today, I was able to prime the drywall!!!  This should not be as exciting as it is, yet it's basically the most amazing thing I've done in a very long time!



Pre-garage build.

Framing Stage.

How it ended pre-winter....and where we're still at with the exterior.


It's been quite the journey with this garage build!  I've definitely learned what an amazingly capable individual my husband is!  Not that I didn't know he was skilled, but he really proved himself with this project. This is where I will also say that he was not completely alone with this; we had SO many friends help out!  It was incredible!  From framing, to plumbing, electrical and drywall...it was amazing to see so many people step up to help!!  

So that's the garage build story so far, but that's only a part of how we moved out, not why.  

This is why we live here ...












Need I say more?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kick Ass.

  Day 11, Letter K, and almost 5 pounds gone!  I'm kicking ass at my A-Z Commit to be Fit Challenge!!   I'm quite certain that the next 5 pounds are going to be quite a bit tougher than the first 5, but I'm willing to do the work.

No to Negativity.

There's really no other way to describe this week so far than to refer to it as crappy.  It's a crappy week.  We had a ton of snow on the weekend that has decided to stick around ( it's April damn it ....I JUST WANT TO RUN OUTSIDE), I'm in a super bitchy mood, awful things are happening all over the world, my family is coming down with some type of  illness, and I'm losing motivation for both the A-Z Challenge and my Commit to be Fit Challenge.  Everything is just plain crappy. So N is for Negativity.  I feel negative...and crappy.

Drunken Jenga

My husband and I are avid game players, as well as avid drinkers.  What could possibly be better than turning Jenga into a drinking game? Making the game takes a little bit of time.  Each block needs an instruction.  The rules below allow for 3 blocks of each rule, with 3 blank blocks.  You can leave the last 3 blank, pick your 3 favorite rules to use again, or make up 3 completely random rules!  Try to use a permanent pen that doesn't bleed too much.  Write in large block letters.  Once you have the blocks all written out, you're ready for Drunken Jenga!  Rules of Drunken Jenga